This long delayed project, also known as Cancun Country Club, is finally welcoming players, albeit only to the front nine. The complex has had some management changes, and is eventually slated to have a second course by Tom Fazio, which is still probably a couple of years out. It is a large development with homes and a beach club, but for now the new nine is the main attraction.
- The good news is that the first course, a Nick Price design, looks great and gives a big lift to Cancun. For years golf has been booming further south, in the Riviera Maya, and I have written extensively about these courses, including
- , home to the only PGA Tour event played in Mexico, and some strong all-inclusive resorts with golf like the
- , which also recently added a high-tech
- But densely developed Cancun with plenty of hotels has been hurting golf, with only the recent
- to wow visitors. That makes the opening of this nine especially appealing – with plenty more to come.