The Metropolitan Golf Club was original part of the Melbourne Golf Club, the Royal title was bestowed on the club in 1895. The original links at Malvern was in danger of being overrun by housing so in 1901 many members moved nearer to Port Phillip Bay to the home of the present Royal Melbourne course. Those who remained formed the Caulfield Golf Club and in 1906 purchased farm land in Oakleigh an in 1908 the members moved to the new course and began play as The Metropolitan Golf Club.
The original course was designed by J B MacKenzie who was a member of the golf club and he transformed the farmland by establishment a magnificent plantation of Australian native trees and shrubs and has the most famous specimen of red flowering gum (Corymbia ficifolia) in Australia. This huge tree comes into bloom in February and is now the emblem of the golf Club along with a winged golf ball.