Bethpage State Park was developed from an estate owned by the Yoakum family and leased their estate to the Lenox Hills Corporation who used the property to build the Lenox Hills Country Club. In the early 1930s, the Bethpage Park Authority purchased the Lenox Hills Country Club and other adjacent properties to build what is now know as Bethpage State Park.
Famed golf course architect A.W. Tillinghast was hired to design and oversee construction of three new golf courses (Black, Red and Blue) as well as modify the Lenox Hills Course which became the Green Course. Bethpage Black opened in 1936 where Joseph H. Burbeck, a superintendent at the State Park, was the driving force and the project manager who led the construction of the Black.