You may be busy, but…
Want to start your day off in spectacularly healthy fashion or finish it in the same? I have two favorite soul nourishment practices that focus upon blessing others.
The first I call “The Twenty-Second Meditation.” It is simple, easy, and composed of just two ten-second segments. Pick two people. They could either be in your field of vision or someone you’re thinking about. With as much focus as you can muster, spend ten seconds on each person imagining and sending them your very best thoughts for their happiness and well-being. It’s no more complicated than that and can be done absolutely anywhere, anytime.
The second is a little bit longer and more structured. It goes like this:
- 1. Pick a quiet time (first thing in the morning or last thing at night) and place where you are unlikely to be interrupted. Consider starting with a simple ritual, such as lighting a candle or listening to a particular piece of music.
- 2. Relax and clear your mind. Use any method that works for you, such as mentally relaxing your body from head-to-toe; breathing deeply in through your nose and out through your mouth; closing your eyes and watching your thoughts as they pass through your mind.
- 3. Focus on a person you want to bless. Do not think about any storyline or history you have with this person. Just imagine the person’s essence and nothing else.
- 4. In your mind’s eye, reach your hands out to touch this person. You might imagine putting your hands on their head or shoulders or even hugging them.
- 5. Now imagine yourself speaking out loud to this person. Articulate your blessing; you might say something like, “I love you and I wish you joy, happiness and all good things in this life and the next. I am grateful for you and the time we have spent together.”
- 6. As you mentally speak these words, imagine golden light traveling from your body into your hands and into this person filling them up.
- 7. When the light has finished, bow, smile, kiss their forehead or any other parting gesture that feels right. Then clear your mind, take a few deep breaths, return to the present moment.
- 8. You can stop or, better yet, repeat these steps for another person.
Soon you will begin to feel lighter and more spiritually refreshed and nourished. When you give love away, it comes back at you in multiples!