You’ve just taken over a department or maybe even an entire Company or organization, or maybe you’ve shifted companies. You are completely comfortable with your own style, but you are the new leader and nobody knows you or how you operate. Everyone is watching your every move and listening you to your every word. This is not the time to make everyone work to figure the best way to work with you so why not tell them and shorten the learning curve? Want a quick revolutionary leadership tool? The solution is to produce your Personal Leader’s User Manual customized to you!
Here are some topics to ask yourself and then communicate to your team. In it, outline what you do and don’t like and how you work best. In fact, some or all of your team may want to do the exercise themselves. Actually it may only take a few minutes to produce and brief is better.
- What’s the best way to communicate with you?
- How would you describe your leadership style?
- How do you coach people to do their best work and develop their talents?
- What are some honest, unfiltered things about you?
- What are your quirks?
- What irritates you?
- How can people earn “extra points” with you?
- What qualities do you really value in people?
- Who are your heroes or mentors and why?
- How do you like to get and give feedback and information?
- How might someone misunderstand or misjudge you?
- What’s the best way to sell or convince you to do something?
- What are your passions outside of work?
Can you quickly realize how this information can be of value to everyone? We’ve all been shaped by different experiences and possess different personalities. These topics cut through everything and provide a crisp, clear roadmap for everyone to better deal with everyone else – an essential in any organization.