Chris Santella is a freelance writer and marketing consultant based in Portland, Oregon. A passionate fly fisher and eager (if largely incompetent) golfer, he writes frequently on these topics…as well as many others. After nearly 20 years working in advertising and marketing management, Chris now makes (most) of his living as a writer. He is the author of eight books, including:
- Fifty Places to Fly Fish Before You Die (Stewart, Tabori & Chang)
- Fifty Places To Play Golf Before You Die (STC)
- Fifty Favorite Fly Fishing Tales (STC)
- Fifty Places To Sail Before You Die (STC)
- Fifty Places To Go Birding Before You Die (STC)
- Fifty Places To Dive Before You Die (STC)
- Once in a Lifetime Trips (Clarkson Potter/Random House)
- Fifty MORE Places To Play Golf Before You Die (STC)
(Do you sense a theme here?)
In addition to his work as a merchant of death, Chris is a frequent contributor to the New York Times, Forbes.com and many fly fishing publications. His work has also appeared in The New Yorker, Golf, Travel & Leisure, Travel & Leisure Golf, San Jose Mercury News, American Lawyer…and many others.
His marketing clients have included Ask Jeeves, Travel Oregon (the tourism arm for the state of Oregon) and many start-up companies that he hopes will one day be purchased so he can cash out his options and buy some better clubs.
When he’s not writing, casting a Freight Train in the Deschutes River for steelhead or hitting short irons dead right at Bandon Dunes, Chris plays guitar and sings (at least he calls it that) with Catch & Release. Some of his marketing work is collected at www.steelhead-communications.com. Listen to Catch & Release at www.myspace.com/catchreleasepdx.